What is a Segment?
A segment is a section of your contacts based on rules.
For example you can use a segment to pull out all contacts from your list who have a .co.uk email address, or who have a birthday in a specific month, or who have never opened one of your emails.
You can segment contacts based on their data (Email address, custom fields) or their activity (Campaigns opened, links clicked, etc).
Segmenting contacts is useful for things like sending campaigns. For example you could send a campaign only to people who have a birthday in July, who have not opened an email, who have purchased something, the list goes on.
And you can add multiple rules to a segment. So you could say I want only contacts with a hotmail address who have purchased a product, who's eye colour is blue, and who are born in July.
It's a very powerful tool, and it's often quite complicated to put segments together.
Fortunately the Segment Tool has been designed to make life very easy when putting segments together.
How to create a Segment
- Go to the Contacts tab at the top of the screen.
- Click on the Segments tab towards the top of the page.
- On the segments page, you can see there are already two segments that have been automatically created. You cannot adjust these segments as they are used around the system to segment Blocklisted and Bounced contacts. You can however use these segments yourself later on if they are useful.
- For now let's add a new segment of our own. Click the +Add Segment button located towards the top right of the page.
- You will be asked to give your segment a name. This is for your own reference. In this example we will call our segment "Hotmail Customers". Click the Next button once done.
Now we are able to add our first rule to the segment. Let's use the following options to pull out our Hotmail customers:
- Set the field dropdown on the left to "Email Address"
- Then set the next field to "End with".
- Then type "hotmail.com" in the last box.
As you start to type "hotmail.com" you will see results appearing towards the bottom of the page, along with a count of how many of your subscribers match the rules.
- You can carry on adding new rules here if you would like to, but for now click the Save Segment button towards the bottom of the screen to save the segment.
That's it. You've now created your first segment. You will see the segment appear in your list of segments, along with how many contacts from all of your groups that match the segment. If you actually wanted to send a campaign to all of your hotmail contacts, you can now do so by adding a Campaign and selecting the segment.